Take your curriculum and shop here for ways to manage and organize your classroom as well as jazz it up with new teaching strategies.

Search

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

SMART 2

SMART 2

One of my favorite games is SMART and SMART has already been featured as one of my “Strategies of the Week.” I heard from a teacher who is not only using SMART effectively in his own classroom but has added his own twist to it to make it work for his students. His name is Allen Fravel and he is a teacher at Highland Springs High School located in Highland Springs, Virginia. He sent me the following email:

Susan,

I just thought I would let you know that I have been using your “smart game’ for my test reviews. I vary it a little bit plus I have added my own bank. After my students have earned points, I write them a check for the number of points they earned. They are allowed to turn in the points to add to assignments; no exam or average points and I will not use them to erase a zero. So far I have had extremely good results with students paying more attention, being more interactive, and receiving higher test grades.

Yours truly,
D. Allen Fravel

I thought making the game a motivational tool was such a good idea, I wanted to share it with you. So with Mr. Fravel’s permission, I have included a copy of the checks he writes his students. Mr. Fravel has done what all teachers should always do when they are exposed to a new teaching tool. Learn the strategy as taught but then take that strategy and make it your own. Thanks Mr. Fravel for sharing. For more information on SMART, click on the SMART link in the section entitled “Ways to Jazz up Your Classroom” located in the left column of this blog. If you have ideas you would like to share on this block, please email me at smmcnamee@comcast.net.

Smart Checks
 
To download these pictures click on the slide show, in the resulting window right click on the image and select "save picture as".

To get files related to this article please email me at smmcnamee@comcast.net
If your computer does not have a program that allows you to click and send email then cut and paste my address into your own email program.

Find more Teaching Strategies like this on the Teaching Strategies Page

0 Comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Blog Counter

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP