Take your curriculum and shop here for ways to manage and organize your classroom as well as jazz it up with new teaching strategies.

Search

Monday, August 10, 2009

Classroom Management Tip #5: Using hand signals instead of yelling out

I like using hand signals for certain things in the classroom in lieu of verbal responses. For example, I like using thumbs up for students to signal that they got the material instead of 30 students yelling out, “I got the material.” I like to have students raise two fingers if they want to leave their seats so that I just say yes Jerry, no Jerry, I will let you know when Jerry, etc. Please see below a hand signal card that outlines seven ways to use signals in lieu of verbal responses. I had good luck with these in my classroom; I never got everyone to comply, but it did cut down on the yelling out in class. Also, I always responded first to students who followed the signal plan and ignored those who just yelled out without following the proper procedures. In addition, continuous yelling out results in a phone call home which also helped the signal plan work. I gave the students a copy of the signals they could use and had them tape it on the front of their notebook as a reminder of what each signal meant.

Look for future classroom management tips.

Signals
To download these pictures click on the slide show, in the resulting window right click on the image and select "save picture as".

To get files related to this article please email me at smmcnamee@comcast.net
If your computer does not have a program that allows you to click and send email then cut and paste my address into your own email program.

For more Classroom Management Tips go to the Classroom Management Tips Page.

0 Comments:

Share it

Blog Counter

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP