Take your curriculum and shop here for ways to manage and organize your classroom as well as jazz it up with new teaching strategies.

Search

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Using Flash Cards

Flash cards have been used by teachers with their students for as long as I can remember. My teachers used flash cards with me when I was a student. They can be used in all subject areas and can be used to review any type of material. When creating a flash card the question is placed on the front side of the card and the answer on the back side of the card. You can use index cards, card stock, or just pieces of paper to create flash cards. Creating flash card is just like doing a worksheet except it is more fun. I would divide my students into groups of four and if I needed 20 flash cards per student; then, each student would create five cards four times. The students believed they were doing less work and I got the cards created quicker. If you create a template on your classroom computers to create flash cards then you can use card stock and type it one time and run it as many times as you need. When creating a flash card computer template, page one will be the front sides of the cards and page two will be the back sides of the cards. Also, it is important to note that the first flash card front will be typed on the first row left side of the page one and the back of this card will be typed on the first row right side of page two. Please see sample below. You can type side by side flash cards and fold them but this can be time consuming as they have to be cut, folded, glued or laminated together. Please see sample below. I have done what I call “flash pages” where I type the question on the left and the answer on the right and the student folds the page down the center and flips back and forth. I used the same template as side by side flash cards. Flash cards are great for students to study with, great to play games with, and always provides a list of review questions to use at any time you have a few extra minutes in your classroom.

To get files related to this article please email me at smmcnamee@comcast.net
If your computer does not have a program that allows you to click and send email then cut and paste my address into your own email program.

Find more Teaching Strategies like this on the Teaching Strategies Page

0 Comments:

There was an error in this gadget

Blog Counter

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP